TTT 009 : Twitter : A Powerful Collaborative Tool for Teachers with Joe Dale (Show Notes)
01 Jul 2015
In this episode (TTT 09) of The Teaching Tips and Tales Podcast, we learn about how social media can be a powerful tool for teachers and educators to collaborate and share ideas. Joe Dale is a consultant and expert who regularly travels the world to offer practical tips and advice on using ICT to enhance the teaching of languages in the classroom. Joe is also the founder of the MFL Twitterati, an online network of over 2700 language teachers, associations and professionals. Many of the ideas and concepts referred to in this interview can also be applied in different subject classrooms. Much of our discussion centers on the impact, benefit and growth of the MFL Twitterati.
Some Questions I ask
- Which came first for you, languages or technology?
- How was the ‘MFL Twitterati’ born?
- Why have other educational subjects areas not had similar success to the MFL Twitterati?
- Are there networks for students to collaborate with each other in a school environment?
- What would your recommendation be for a school with a limited budget to spend on technology?
- Is there a danger that technology could depersonalise the learning experience?
- What are your must have apps or tools for use in the classroom?
Useful Links and Resources mentioned
@joedale Find and Follow Joe on Twitter
Edmodo Community where teachers, students, and parents can connect safely
Google Classroom Helps teachers create and collect assignments paperlessly
E-Twinning Platform for school staff to collaborate with other European schools
Storybird Lets anyone make visual stories in seconds.
Voki Create talking avatars as a learning tool
Voice record 7 A Professional voice recorder
Padlet An online noticeboard that enhances collaboration
Todaysmeet Enables activities, discussions, conversations beyond the classroom
Yakit kids Make ANY photo talk, just by speaking! Pets, friends, food, family
My Talking Avatar Free Does exactly what it says!
Chatterpix Kids Can make anything talk — pets, friends, doodles, and more.
Videolicious The easy way to make a video and edit a video Book Creator Create ebooks and PDFs and publish to iBooks